|Why I <3 Andrew Eldritch
||[Mar. 11th, 2004|06:25 pm]
Because I can be inane, too, damnit.|
- Because he's an Austen fan
- Because he's a leftist
- Because his political songs are as subtly crafted as his relationship songs
- Because he's a total elitist
- Because he said "Some people get by with a little understanding/Some people get by with a whole lot more."
- Because he introduced me to the coolness of Isabelle Adjani
- Because he's eloquent and rational in interviews, while still retaining the bitterness inherent to his coolness
- Because he mocks goths with a fluency that makes me laugh and chortle
- Vision Thing
- Because he's a Leonard Cohen fan who has exceeded Leonard's level of cool
- Because he speaks about himself in way that is at once polite, and defensive of his privacy
- Because he doesn't ruin his songs by giving them a personal context in interviews etc.
- Because he'd hate me for writing this stupid list
...and I heart him for this:
to Piers Townley,
"Notoriously difficult to get hold of ?" Could this possibly mean
- "Some stupid journalist once decided that Mr Eldritch was difficult to get hold of, and it suits the others to preserve the myth, as is their wont."
- "The record company has no relationship whatsoever with its artist and consequently has no idea where he may be."
- "The record company has again refused to pay for an all-expenses junket to a location exotic enough to guarantee coverage in the British press."
- "We have quite correctly been warned that Mr Eldritch would despise our magazine, and doesn't trust us to print an interview, at least not without making half of it up and sticking a really stupid headline over it."
- "Mr Eldritch lives on the mainland. We're not sure where that is, but we don't think we like it. We certainly don't know anybody that far away. What is e-mail, anyway?"
- "Mr Eldritch obviously has better things to do than make himself available to obtuse parasites."
- "Mr Eldritch obviously has better things to do than make himself available to the obtuse parasites of a derelict offshore spiv nation which has its musical, cultural and social head so far up its own backside that it can so criminally undervalue its one true intellectual Love God. Real charisma prefers to shun the collaborationist celebration of Thatcher's underclass, the beatification of the retard, and the pretence that cretinous seventies clothes are somehow new and flattering."
The answer, of course, is "none of the above". Perish the thought. It only took one fax to the People's Republic Of West Yorkshire.
Maybe you were just lucky. I'll call you on Monday and we'll see how long your luck holds out.
( http://www.the-sisters-of-mercy.com/gen/persuasi.htm )